A Quick Glance At Eczema
Eczema is one of the most common skin conditions I come across, both mild and extreme cases. Many people who have been suffering with it for most of their life feel they will never get rid of it. This is not true. It takes hard work until you can make it a habit, but when you do – it is so worth it.
What can cause it?
Stress, diet, nutrition (or lack of), water, topical or environmental causes.
How can you treat it?
By taking care of what’s causing it.
Treat the stress, not the eczema. Not always possible I know – things can happen in life that are out of our control. What you can control, is WHAT you stress about/at, and how you cope with it. Some things you are letting get to you, that you need to let go of – trust me there!
- Deep breathing
- Rescue Remedy or Anti-Anxiety Spray
- Gentle exercise
- Time out for yourself – do something you enjoy. A holiday? A facial? A massage? Visit a friend? Walk on the beach? Listen to peaceful music?
This is the most common cause by far, and can be one of the hardest things for people to change. But it is also the most effective.
- Check for deficiencies in your 6 main essential nutrients for skin. Water, Essential Fatty Acids (Omegas), Vitamin B, Zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin C
- Look at other levels of vitamins and minerals in your body. Many of them need another to work at their optimum level. Generally, you are only as strong as your weakest link. (i.e. there’s not much use for all those good EFA’s if you don’t have enough Vit B to even use them!)
- Bestow Beauty Oil (flaxseed oil)!!! Essential Fatty Acids. Your moisturiser from the inside out. This gives your body GOOD QUALITY oils that can protect, heal and provide anti-inflammatory properties within in the skin. This one is so important!
- Avoid foods known to heat and/or irritate the skin (curries, chillies, oranges, strawberries, alcohol, an excess of red meat etc.) and look for cooling alternatives.
- Start your day with half a lemon squeezed into warm (or room temp) water. Make sure you are drinking enough water throughout the day. Add lemon, cucumber, and/or mint to your water, or try herbal teas.
- If you are on a skin care programme, a course of Janesce Aperitif (tonic) to help cleanse your blood, liver and gut is great.
- Keep in mind it can take about 6-8 weeks for diet changes (internal or nutritional methods) to ‘show up’ on your skin. Work at it DAILY, even if it ‘looks like it’s not working’.
Skin Care & Topical Factors:
Is something constantly touching your skin causing the irritation? Cleaning products, perfumed products, soaps and foaming cleansers, chlorinated water.
- Foaming cleansers and soaps will strip the natural oils from the skin. Avoid, avoid, avoid! Use cream cleansers, oil cleansers or floral waters.
- Body washes? Remember that sweat is water soluble. This means it washes off when we are standing under the shower. We don’t really need to lather up our entire bodies with soap! Especially those foaming products. For body washes, try Janesce Liquid Body Cleanse or Gentle Body Wash.
- Wear gloves when cleaning, possibly even wear gloves when shampooing your hair.
- Try not to ever let water dry on your skin without using a moisturiser of some kind. Wet the skin and lock it in! After soaking and/or showering, apply a body oil or moisturiser. My ultimate favourite skin care routine for eczema – soak your skin, Janesce Soothing Mist, Janesce EC Lotion B. I do this day and night, and all in between. Of course I am washing my hands constantly at work so I need to be extra diligent with this. All the washing is not good for my skin! I love the EC Lotion B because it supports the skin to do what it’s naturally supposed to do. It’s not a steroid cream (although yes, these have their purpose).
A great place to start:
Drinking water, watching your nutrition, adding Bestow Beauty Oil to your diet, soaking your skin, applying Janesce Soothing Mist and Janesce EC Lotion B. That is the perfect start.
Eczema is so much easier to treat than you think. Please ask us, and don’t feel like you are stuck with it forever. If you are ready to make the changes needed; we are here to support you.